Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fruit Trees

Hello,
Having just purchased a 30,000 litre water tank I am feeling re-inspired about putting in new fruit trees at our place this winter. I am of course hoping it will rain over this time and actually fill with water!
So I am looking for advice from my fellow basketeers on tried and tested varieties of fruit trees that you would recommend. My husband Michael is also keen on growing a fig tree so not sure if there is anything I should know about this tree?
Hoping to hear back from you,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill,

    Figs seem to like a restricted root run, some people line the sides of the hole with rocks/slabs (not the bottom) when planting. They are frost hardy when established. We have a Preston Prolific in a very large pot (about 80 cm across). I can heartily recommend this variety for taste and quantity of fruit - we've had 30 or so tasty figs off it this autumn and it's only 2 years old. (Planted June 2008)

    Figs can sucker if the surface roots are disturbed. They are all grown on their own rootstock so there are no dwarf varieties.

    ReplyDelete